Techies and Music: What's the link?

Over time, developers have been stereotyped as hoodie-donning, backpack-carrying, headset-wearing, super-taciturn species. I have often wondered the relationship between a techie and his/her headset/earpiece; most times I even privately joke that this item is their all-important fifth limb.

In the last year, I have had the pleasure of working with some of the best developers and designers in the ecosystem. One common index that runs through their work behaviour is music.

I adore music. I have a vast music collection and I love listening to music – Blues, Hip-Hop, and Afrobeat especially. The idea that coding can be emotional and also involve intuition and flexible perspective resonates with most software developers. I have seen that listening to music can help you get into the “zone”. It’s a powerful state most developers hit from time to time where the world seems to be irrelevant and the only thing that needs to be done is the problem you’re working on. Music can motivate you to get things done.

I talked to Tunde Yusuf and he was generous enough to share with me some of his ‘zone’ songs. I give you some musical goodness:

Feel free to share yours too!

1 Like

I felt obligated to send a list of playlists for apple music listeners !

Electronic album to code by

Afro vibes

Relaxing

Smooth Afro beats

Vibes

And try Jazz, it’s fire with coding ! :blue_heart:

1 Like